First Ever SSB Homebrew to Homebrew Contact by N2CQR. With...

2322 miles.  3737 kilometers

Pete Juliano and I were talking on Skype yesterday evening.  He was regaling me with tales of the wonders of his new beam antenna.  He mentioned that he was working a lot of East Coast stations... Wait a minute, I thought, I'm an East Coast station.  And I have a 20 meter rig sitting right in front of me.  "Meet me on 14.190 Pete!"   It took me a minute or so to get the rig connected to the CCI amplifier and the 20 meter dipole.  By the time I got everything fired up, there was a station on the frequency.  I thought we'd lost the spot.  But no!  I realized it was Pete calling me. 

This was extremely cool.  Pete was using his ZIA rig with the brand new beam.  I was on my VFO BITX20.  And I was using the CCI amp that Pete had coached me on (he taught me how to tap the holes for the heat sink).

This was the first time I had ever contacted another homebrew SSB station -- and the first time Pete and I had spoken on the air.  THE RADIO GODS WANTED THIS ONE TO HAPPEN! 

I recorded the QSO:

http://soldersmoke.com/n6qwn2cqr.mp3

I will ask Pete to provide more detail regarding the California end of this QSO in the comment section below.  Did you have your amplifier on Pete?

Comments