"Receiver Here is My SWR meter OM..."

Santa managed to include in his delivery some of the materials that I needed to build my 160 meter inverted L antenna.   You see, Steve Silverman, Pete Juliano and I have collectively more than 150 years in ham radio, but none of us have ever operated on Top Band.  The three of us have taken A SOLEMN OATH to correct this horrendous deficiency.   I am in the vanguard, partly due to a weather pattern that is perfect for antenna building. 

Armed with a new elastic band for my Wrist-Rocket sling shot and some perfectly shaped lead sinkers,  yesterday -- with the obvious cooperation of The Radio Gods -- I managed to get two ropes over some 70 foot trees.  Soon -- with minimal gnashing of teeth -- I had 185 feet of wire in the air. 

This morning I was messing around with L networks at the base of the antenna.  I took a coffee break, leaving the 185 foot wire and the ground system connected to the coax.   I had the transmitter off, so I was surprised to see the SWR meter jumping around a bit, up significantly from zero.   What could that be?  It wasn't coming from my station, so it had to be coming from some other transmitter. And the slight bit of jumping that I saw on the SWR meter had the familiar pattern of the human voice.  Some radio sleuthing ensued.

I flipped the station antenna switch to the  "bench" position, and connected my scope to the coax.  Wow!  I immediately saw a big strong AM signal with modulation, at about  5 or 6 volts peak to peak.  The Rigol 'scope gave the frequency:  1220 kHz.  

I tuned the HQ-100 to that frequency.  As I listened to Gospel broadcast, I could follow the voice peaks on the 'scope. 

Some Googling ID's the station:  WFAX 1220 AM.   5 kilowatts in the daytime.  1.5 miles from my house.  The vertical portion of the inverted L is obviously picking up a LOT of energy from the WFAX tower.  And the horizontal portion of my antenna is broadside to the WFAX tower.

Of course this all made me think about throwing together a crystal radio, but then I realized I'd already listened to WFAX with simple diode -- the one in my SWR meter.  That little SWR meter was acting like a crystal radio with a visual output!     

Comments